Thursday, August 4, 2016

Gersh-wash 2.0

My sister liked the last all-in-one wash I made her and she is running out, so she requested a refill, this time in sandalwood flavour.

I made a few modifications: I decreased the glycerin from 15% to 3%, to see if it made much of a difference, and reduced the glycol distearate from 1.5% to 0.5% in hopes of boosting the foaminess. I also left out the hydrolyzed silk protein to make it a more vegan-friendly product; she's not vegan, but pretty close.

This time I also had Crothix to thicken it, so the need to use so much glycol distearate for thickening purposes was not a factor. 0.5% Crothix was required to thicken in to a similar consistency as the last batch with the additional GD.

This process included a heated water phase and a cool-down phase only, as there is no emulsification to do here. The gylcol distearate is a waxy solid though, so requires thorough heating to melt and incorporate.

The reduced glycol disteaerate made a noticeable visual difference in the formula. The last batch with 1.5% was more-or-less opaque. This time with 0.5%, it is pearly and quite gorgeous.

I made a 300 g batch to fill a 250 ml bottle with the hopes of having a bit left over for me. That didn't really happen. I filled the bottle to the top, and had enough left over for a single shower. Oh well, I still got to try it. It foamed up really nicely on my bath pouf, much more than the last version, and of course smelled fabulous with the sandalwood FO.

I think this recipe is a winner, and may become my basic body wash recipe that I can tweak as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment